The Olive and Olive Oil Department in Tal Amara station was established in 2011.
It aims at developing olive and olive oil sector in Lebanon through:
- Characterizing the Lebanese olive varieties and studying the characteristics of the oil extracted from them.
- Improving the productivity of olive trees.- Improving the quality of olive oil produced in Lebanon.
- Providing assistance against the adulteration of olive oil in Lebanon.
- Contributing to the development of Lebanese standards for olive oil and table olives.
- Contributing to give the local oil and added calue through development of protected geographical origins.
- Cataloguing and protection of the olive genetic resources in Lebanon and of the centennial olive trees.
- Assigning extension and advisory services to farmers.
- Training students from different Lebanese universities.
- Introducing new techniques, equipment and methods of analysis through participation in international projects in collaboration with European laboratories, leaders in the analysis of olive genetic resources and olive oil analyzes.
- Morphological and agronomical characterization of local and widespread olive varieties.
- Olive oil extraction using Abencor system
- Oil content in olive paste, pomace and olive mill wastewater
- Olive oil quality analysis including free acidity, peroxide value, UV absorbance (K232,K270 and delta-K) and oxidative stability index using Rancimat method.
- Olive oil compositional analysis including fatty acid composition (GC-FID) and phenolic profile (HPLC-DAD).
- Dr. Milad El Riachy - Head of the Department (email@example.com)
- Ghinwa Hawi(Assistant)
- El Riachy, M., Hamadeh, A., Ayoub, R., Dandachi, F., Chalak, L. 2019. Oil content, fatty acid and phenolic profiles of some olive varieties growing in Lebanon. Front. Nutr., 04 July2019. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2019.00094.
- El Riachy, M., Bou-Mitri, Ch., Youssef, A., Andary, R., Skaff, W. 2018. Chemical and sensorial characteristics of olive oil produced from the Lebanese olive variety ‘Baladi’.Sustainability 10, 4630; doi:10.3390/su10124630.
- Chami, M., Hajj, A., Kahwaji, J., Youssef, H., Ghaith, S., Fakih, L., Smaha, M.,Nabbout, R., El Riachy, M., As-Sadi, F., Al Zein, M., Ruiz Gomez, F.J., Palacios-Rodriguez, G., Navarro-Cerillo, R., Tous, J. Chalak, L. 2018. Assessment of ancient carob germoplasm of Lebanon by morphological traits. Journal of the American PomologicalSociety 72(4): 260-278.
- El Riachy, M., Jebbawi G., Hawi G., Chalak L., Massaad R. 2018. Quality and fatty acid profiles of mono varietal olive oils produced from irrigated groves in Qaa region, Lebanon.Acta Hortic. 1199. ISHS 2018. DOI 10.17660/ActaHortic.2018.1199.84 Proc. VIII Int. OliveSymposium Eds.: S. Perica et al., 529–534.
- Chalak, L., Youssef, A., Hamadeh, A., Khadari, B., El Riachy, M. 2018. Preliminary assessment of centennial olive trees in Lebanon indicates a high potential for selection. ActaHortic. 1199. ISHS 2018. DOI 10.17660/ActaHortic.2018.1199.6 Proc. VIII Int. OliveSymposium Eds.: S. Perica et al., 33–40.
- El Riachy, M., Hamade, A., Ayoub, R., Dandachi, F., As-sadi, F., Chalak, L. 2018. Oil content, fatty acid and phenolic profiles of eleven olive varieties growing in Lebanon.International conference for olive tree and olive products. Olive bioteq 2018. 15–19 October2018,Sevilla, Spain.
- Youssef, A., Chalak, L., Khadari, B., El Riachy, M. 2018. Preliminary age estimation of some ancient olive trees in South Lebanon. International conference for olive tree and olive products. Olive bioteq 2018. 15–19 October 2018,Sevilla, Spain.
- Chalak, L., Haouane, H., Essalouh, L., Youssef, A., El Riachy, M., Khadari, B. 2018.Did monumental olive trees of lebanon contribute to the structure of the current olive germplasm? International conference for olive tree and olive products. Olive bioteq 2018.15–19 October 2018,Sevilla, Spain.
- Hanash, A., Youssef, A., El Riachy, M., El Hajj, A., Jomaa, I., Chalak, L. 2018. May climate change affect the floral phenology of fruit trees in Lebanon? 24 th LAAS International Science Conference, Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science, 25–26 April2018, Balamand, Lebanon. Book of abstract.
- El Riachy, M. 2018. Extension bulletin on the correct agro-industrial practices during the olive oil season for obtaining high quality olive oil and for preserving the environment.
- El Riachy, M., Haber, A., Abou Daya, S., Jebbawi, G., Al Hawi, G., Talej, V., Houssein,M., El Hajj, A. 2017. Influence of irrigation regimes on quality attributes of olive oils fromtwo varieties growing in Lebanon. International Journal of Environment, Agriculture andBiotechnology (IJEAB) 2 (2), 895–905.
- Moussa, Z., Choueiri, E., Youssef, A., El Riachy, M. 2017. First record of olive pyralid moth, Euzophera pinguis (Haworth, 1811) on olive trees in Lebanon (Lepidoptera,Pyralidae). Bulletin de la société entomologique de France 122 (1), 57–60.
- Kiwan, Q., Hassoun, G., Andary, R., Youssef, A., Kahwaji, J., Karam, M., Araji, N.,Hanna, N. El Riachy, M. 2017. Influence of olive mill by-products on the Lebanese environment. 23 rd LAAS International Science Conference, Lebanese Association for theAdvancement of Science, 6–7 April 2017, Beirut, Lebanon. Book of abstracts, p.57.